Residential & Commercial Natural Gas Equipment Rebate Program 2013-2014
About the Program
Take advantage of natural gas equipment rebates for residential /commercial customers that make choosing natural gas equipment more efficient and affordable. The rebates apply to oil, electricity and propane conversions and are eligible for activations completed between
April 1, 2013 and March 31, 2014. To receive funds from this program all rebate applications must be received at Heritage Gas for processing by May 15, 2014.
- All residential single family dwellings, duplex and townhouses as individual addresses must include an EnergyStar rated central heating system to qualify for the rebate program.
- Commercial businesses are defined as those who own, manage or lease buildings in sectors such as retail, hospitality, office and multi-unit residential. Public institutions such as educational, health care, non-profit, municipal and provincial government buildings are also included as commercial businesses.
- Each commercial business operating in an independent civic address that meets all of the criteria qualifies for the rebate.
- On an annual basis the residences and commercial businesses will consume less than 5,000 gigajoules per year of natural gas per meter.
- New construction of commercial and residential buildings does not qualify.
- Equipment and installation (materials and labour) of natural gas space heating, water heating and process equipment and professional
fees (engineering or architectural) associated directly with the conversion.
Purchased, or 'lease to own' equipment will qualify.
- Rebate based on estimated annual fuel consumption from Table below.
- Add efficiency rebate if equipment meets criteria from Table below.
- All installations will be eligible for up to 25% of the approved costs associated with the conversion.
The efficiency component will be added to all equipment upgrades with the following exceptions: Burner conversions of existing equipment (i.e. boilers, furnaces, radiant, HVACs, kitchens).
- Replacement of boilers and furnaces:
- 300,000 Btu's and less: Non-EnergyStar rated replacement equipment
- 300,000 Btu’s and more: Equipment less than 85% AFUE
- Replacement of unit heaters and water heaters: Equipment less than 85% AFUE.
Residential customers must install an Energy Star rated heating system to receive the Base rebate and domestic hot water system to receive the efficiency component of the rebate. These appliances must be connected at the same time.
Building A: Estimated annual natural gas consumption is 800 GJ. Conversion costs = $18,000 before taxes. Including an EnergyStar rated appliance at 90% efficiency. Rebate = $3,000 for base rebate plus $1,000 for efficiency rebate = $4,000 rebate. Rebate of $4,000 is less than 25% of total installation cost of $18,000.
This program is funded by the Province of Nova Scotia Department of Energy through the Natural Gas Market Development Fund and is administered by Heritage Gas Limited, the local natural gas distribution company. The program is designed to encourage Nova Scotians to convert to natural gas using the highest efficiency equipment available.
How to Apply?
- Together with your contractor fill out the rebate application and send it to Heritage Gas Limited along with a copy of the invoice(s) for all of the work completed.
- Please complete the form in full. Forms can be faxed to (902) 466-2140 or mailed to: Heritage Gas Limited, Park Place 1, 200-238 Brownlow Ave., Dartmouth, NS B3B-1Y2.
- Heritage Gas will confirm the installation of the qualifying equipment, and send you the rebate.
- Please contact the office at 466-2003 or toll free at 1-866-863-7427 if you have any questions.